AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

question for the sheep people. what do you use for milk replacer?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

denice.r
Posted 5/19/2014 17:45 (#3878538 - in reply to #3878449)
Subject: RE: more info

south east Indiana
If these are lambs from Finn or Romonov sheep that have "litter" the lambs will be small, smaller than most other breeds of sheep. If that is the case may need to go to three feeding for at least a week, maybe more becsue they will not be able to drink 16 oz at a time. They will need about 1 oz per lb three times a day that is a good guess.

I would ONLY take /buy lambs that have had colostrum. Without it they do not so well and most die.

I second the giving of C/D/T vaccines since they are bottle lambs. I do three doses also three weeks apart.

If you get good healthy lambs bottle feeding goes well and they grow well, if they are not good healthy lambs I am afraid it will be a hard road on the girls. Heck even after 20 years with sheep loosing a baby kind a ruins my day.

Getting them on feed asap is good. The faster they eat the sooner you can stop bottles. Soy bean meal they eat well as lambs so you can add that to creep or a sweet feed for horses that smells good like molasses gets them started eating.

As far the milk - land o lakes or merrick I like, Hubbard is good also. Look at the protein and fat content. I like 24 prot and 30 fat. Higher fat seems to give them diarrhea.

The big problem with lambs are bloat and pneumonia and scours I would say.

Hope it goes well
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)