AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do farmers have a bad attitude?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

arcticcatfarmer
Posted 5/16/2014 19:02 (#3874076 - in reply to #3873945)
Subject: RE: Do farmers have a bad attitude?

Tip of the Thumb of Michigan

The bad attitude is just the person.  Not the job.   We only have cash crops and  seed processing business.  That means not much physical labor for dec-march.  But being in the field is not the only work I do.  Winter trade shows and meetings feel like play, but I've learned things over the years that have made our farm a ton of money.  Hour upon hours of planning, dreaming and scheming on how to make a better crop in the coming years.  Not to mention the shop work for few months each winter.  I will say I do like the fact that in our operation there is time to relax and recharge.  I know it has many perks.  It also, like any business out there, takes a self motivator.

I would hate to work a standard job.  The only good thing about a job where you are  not the owner is when you punch out, is you are done with the job.  How many times do you lay in bed thinking about something?  I have had winter jobs in town and being tied to a building 45 hours a week sucks!  When you are  your own boss you can leave for 3 hours during the day and then finish up after supper.  

I always have respect for the fertilizer dealers employees.  They work as long of hours in the spring and fall as I do, but when it rains, I sleep in or putts in the house until 9 or 10.  They are back to work at 7:30am for their 9 hours.  We push with a specific goal in sight.  We get there and take a breath.  They work from the early guys until the stragglers get done.

Edited by arcticcatfarmer 5/16/2014 19:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)