AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

family farms where only a couple members farm?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Montgomeryj1
Posted 5/1/2014 08:39 (#3847818 - in reply to #3847813)
Subject: RE: family farms where only a couple members farm?

North West Ohio
kscropguy - 5/1/2014 09:36

I am sorry to hear that. If looking toward the future is your goal your dad and aunt and uncle need to have a sit down talk away from the farm or their homes. Nobody gets home field advantage that way. The discussion needs to be had about the future of the farm and each other's ideas for such plans. I hate to tell you this but if you aren't a partner in the ground or the equipment you don't have a say unless you are asked(I have been in this situation). Try to hash out plans for a transition that is amicable to each party understanding that compromise is part of the deal. Finally, write up contracts with a lawyer to cover the bases in the agreement.

As for your dad and your siblings. Your dad should be in charge. You need him to tell you and your siblings his desires and then make sure it's written on paper by a lawyer with provision for someone to be a third party administrator in case family problems occur.

My sons will be told what I want, they will be treated fairly by my standards, and finally if they fight over (what little there is) there probably will be a nuclear clause added that would be pretty devastating to them if I can figure out a way to make it stick.

Thanks, this is the kind of reply I've been looking for. You're right I have no ties to this farm. I'm just a laborer at this point.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)