AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Blackleg----Anybody experience it?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

John SD
Posted 2/28/2014 09:26 (#3722313 - in reply to #3722253)
Subject: RE: Blackleg----Anybody experience it?

More specifically, I'd say your problem is entertoxemia. The C and D component of blackleg vaccines. "Overeating" in layman's terms.

Ran into this in both lambs and calves over the years. The best doing lambs or calves start dropping like flies for no apparent reason.

The cure is the "anti-toxin" which is a day late and a dollar short at best. Ounce of prevention is much better. Vaccinating mamas with CD or 7-way before calving/lambing helps the newborn with immunity, or vaccinate newborns. Then again in 3 - 6 weeks.

I vaccinated calves at birth and again at branding, and 3rd dose at pre-weaning fall shots. 500 pounders would have 3 rounds of blackleg into them at that rate.

Someone mentioned Alpha 7. IMO, Alpha 7 is THE most effective blackleg vaccine available and one shot should cover what 2 - 3 shots of lesser vaccine does. Problem with Alpha 7 is that if you don't practice absolute perfect injection procedure the Alpha can leave nasty looking lumps at the injection site that stick around for a long time.

Good luck. I know from personal experience this is a depressing thing to get through.

Edited by John SD 2/28/2014 09:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)