AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New twins??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

agr890
Posted 2/26/2014 20:34 (#3719127)
Subject: New twins??

Western Illinois
Went out last night just before dark for my evening check and found 2 nice 75-80 pound bull calves about 50 feet away from each other and one cow with a little of the afterbirth still present. With having full size calves my first assumption is that they were 2 separate calves/cows. With us only having 16 cows in this pasture it appears to me that they are twins. The rest of the cows could care less about the calves and the mother seems to be letting both calves nurse. She does seem to favor one of the calves and when she goes from the barn to eat and drink one will follow right with her and the other will just stay by the shed.
This is the first set of twins I can remember in the last 15 years on the place. The mother is 5 years old and is a good cow with normally a very good milk supply. Since i have no experience with twins should I just let her try to raise them both or pull one and deal with a bottle calf that I really dont have time to mess with.
All of the cows in this pasture are between 4 and 10 and I dont think any of them would abandon their new calf.
Is it common to have twin calves that are both pretty close to normal size?? She didnt seem to be a whole lot bigger than the rest of the cows.

Edited by agr890 2/26/2014 20:40
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)