AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pond danger?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

feelnrite
Posted 2/22/2014 20:12 (#3709657 - in reply to #3709566)
Subject: RE: Pond danger?

northwest tennessee

Last year I had cows in stalks and I have a 5 strand high tensile fence with two of the wires hot running by a pond with a grass entry of fescue. The fence is about 2 feet from the water and can be closer if the water is high. I knew this cow was close to calving and she had been in this area and was hanging out in this grass. When I would show up she would go to the pond and look across it and bawl.  I knew she had calved and looked everywhere for the calf. I thought it was in the pond and got a pole with a hook on it to try to snag something but couldnt. I googled and it said if a body sucked water into the lungs it would sink and would take so many days depending on the temp to rise. Well I counted the days with the temp using the formula they gave and would go by everyday when checking cows to look for it. ON the day it was supposed to rise i went by and it was floating. I think the calf walked into the fence like they do and hit the hot wire and shot forward bawling, the wire tripped it and its head went in the water sucking water into its lungs. Made me sick. I am not a fan of ponds anyway and the cows dont use this it is just there.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)