AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Custom drylotting cow ?s
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ahay68979
Posted 2/21/2014 19:44 (#3707434)
Subject: Custom drylotting cow ?s

Saronville NE
Got approached today at sale barn, if I wanted to custom drylot some cows, from anywhere from 100 to 400 pair, or anywhere in between. Been thinking tonite, what would you charge so you made a decent return not just the yardage? I would use up all my silage and have to cut way more then I was planning for next year, if did this, I should have a enuff leftover if just fed calves to only have to cut a dab of dryland next fall. Id rather not have to go cut a whole bunch again next fall. I can sell the silage, but do you mark it up even more to make more money on top of the yardage?

Neighbor took 150 hd of cows in to calve out for a guy and keeping them till grass and is charging $3 a day, that is about 65 cents more then my yardage and feed cost would be, he is also charging another $40 a head for every live calf on top of the $3 a day, he oughta make some dang good money. Making extra on top of feed, is that a bad thing? I don't want to get rich, but I want to make something, just like if I was feeding calves and making say a $50-70 a head profit when Im done, not just use up my feed and get the yardage, is that wrong way to think?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)