AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farming, career change? Help or advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

HFarming
Posted 2/13/2014 09:04 (#3686740)
Subject: Farming, career change? Help or advice

I am farming with my family and working full time. The job I currently have in agriculture pays well, but I am swamped during the spring and the late fall preventing me from helping with harvest and planting and anhydrous. I would love to return to the farm someday, but reality maybe that I will have to wait until Dad retires in 10-15 years. So until than I need to find a career that works better with the current farming situation I am in and find a career that I want to be in for the long haul in case the opportunity ceases to exist in the future. I have been looking into becoming an insurance and investments adviser for some time now. There has been a couple friends that work for Northwestern Mutual who have been pushing me to join. I have been a customer of the companies for about 4 years since I graduated college and know they have very good products after being advised by my Grandpa who has been in the business for 45 years, though with another company. I have interviewed with them many times and taken all of their tests to see if their career is a best fit, and according to them I have been one of the most consistent and higher rated person to take the test. I am not saying I would be, but say I have the personality and the drive to help others, is this something that those of you with experience would suggest? What do you think about Northwestern Mutual would be like as an agent? I do know that the success rate is very low, I know that those in the industry, at least with Northwestern, can do very well for themselves. The friends I have working there are exactly the type of people I would want taking care of my investments and insurance needs outside of farming, though they have helped me make capital investments for the farm. Last question is, would I be limiting myself by working just for Northwestern Mutual rather than a different type of role like State Farm or an Aflac agent? One thing I know that if I make such a decision and get all my licensing done, I will make it happen. I just want to make the right decision.

Side note: I do not have a family to support at this time and am sure I can hold out up to five months with no commission coming in and my bank will be completely in tuned with what I am doing if I decide to take this sort of route. My Father and cousin farm together and I rent a few hundred acres, as long as my cousin makes the farming operation continue into the long future, I am content with farming what I am farming and what my Dad owns when he retires, as long as the rest of the extended family ground stays in the family. I will continue to try and expand on my own with the help of their machinery and my own to try and make the farming thing happen.

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)