AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Deere and Data Ownership
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Red Solo Cup
Posted 11/11/2013 22:31 (#3439053)
Subject: Deere and Data Ownership

Funky Broadway
With all of this recent talk about Deere teaming up with Dupont, along with magazine articles on wireless transfer of data, I decided to read some of the "not so fine print" from my last John Deere purchase order that I signed.

In the middle of the PO, it stated "Products may be equipped with telematics hardware and software" with a little foot note symbol beside it. On the bottom it states: "Purchaser agrees that John Deere and Dealer (their affiliates, successors, and assigns), without further notice to purchaser have the right to access, use, collect, and disclose any data generated by, collected by, or stored in, Products or any hardware or devices interfacing with Products ("Machine Data")."

After reading that statement I went to www.johndeere.com/trust for more information. On "Business Data Principles" number 2 topic (Data types), it states:

"Machine Data are data that generally relate to how your equipment is functioning. Examples include fuel consumption, machine health indicators, vehicle diagnostic codes and engine performance.
Production Data are data that generally relate to the work you do with the equipment and the land on which the work is performed. Examples include field task details, material moved, trees or crop harvested (yield), and agronomic inputs applied."

I then clicked on the FAQ, and on the question "Why should I allow John Deere to anonymize machine or production data and share it externally" it states:

"If you opt in to this choice, John Deere may anonymize Machine and Production Data from the customers' account and share it externally for benchmarking and other information services. External sharing means that once the data has been anonymized, John Deere may share datasets with external parties such as customers, dealers, agricultural retailers, agricultural service providers, seed and agricultural chemical companies, universities and other research organizations, equipment industry consortiums and others like them."

So referring back to the statement on the purchase order that I signed (without reading all of the fine print like most of us do), I have given Deere and my dealer the right to collect, use, or sell my JDLink data from my tractor ("machine data"), but I haven't okayed them access to my "Production data" since I haven't signed up for wireless data transfer.

Has anybody signed up for wireless data transfer, yet? Do they "opt you in" automatically and hope you don't read the fine print?

I asked my local Deere dealer, but they didn't have an answer. They claim to be savvy with AMS and technology, but they really just talk a good game and are steady drinking that Deere "Kool-Aid."
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)