AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pioneer wants your data
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

SeedSllr
Posted 7/11/2006 22:22 (#25704 - in reply to #25515)
Subject: Re: Pioneer wants your data

As a sales rep and a person involved in seed sales for well over 30 years, I take offense at the implication that all seed dealers cheat with the weigh wagon or edit yield data. I have never, nor will I ever cheat on the scales, just to win a plot or comparison. I think you'd better have some sound basis before you go painting with such a broad brush!!

The biggest mistakes that I see farmers making when comparing hybrids:
Too many variables in the comparison. 1/2 mile throughs, one side of an 80 to another, maybe even from one field to another. Soil type varies, fertility varies, rainfall, weed pressure all have a huge impact on yield. Make your plots relatively small to eliminate as much variation as you can.

Not using enough replications. Three reps in a plot is nice, now if you have 10 plots with 3 reps each, you might get some statistically significant data. Don't ever fall into the trap of using just one plot to make your hybrid selection. It'll burn you some day.

The point about traits is well taken. Make sure you're comparing "apples to apples".

Yield monitors can be the greatest tool that you can own. They can also be the worst way in the world to compare yields. If you calibrate it once in the fall and then use it to compare hybrids, you just as well make a mark in the dust on the side of the grain tank!!!! You absolutely must recalibrate when changing hybrids and ideally 2-3 times during the day. Grain is sold by weight, not by bulk. Yield monitors measure by mass flow. Test weight can make a huge difference. I've heard many times, "Well, corn hybrid XYZ beat ABC. 'Course, I've still got the monitor calibrated for beans and didn't bother to reset it, but that's gotta be close" Give me a break!!

I calibrate my weigh wagon every chance I get by comparing the weight of the grain run through it to what the elevator says the farmer delivered. I calibrate the moisture tester several times during the fall. If you don't trust your dealer, maybe you'd better look for somebody else to do business with.

Sorry for the rant, but don't go making broad statements like that. Otherwise, we'll have to start saying that all farmers are rich, drive new pickups and spend all winter in Florida and all summer in Canada!!

SS
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)