AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pioneer wants your data
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 7/13/2006 07:36 (#26082 - in reply to #25704)
Subject: Re: seedsllr comment

West Union, Illinois

SeedSllr - 7/11/2006 21:22 I take offense at the implication that all seed dealers cheat with the weigh wagon or edit yield data. I have never, nor will I ever cheat on the scales, just to win a plot or comparison. I think you'd better have some sound basis before you go painting with such a broad brush!! ... If you don't trust your dealer, maybe you'd better look for somebody else to do business with.

Way back when I was in the seed business I learned a lot watching a big seed dealer west of Chrisman.  Had a real tightly run organization, took advantage of every possibility, sold corn to customers in my area cheaper than my local same company dealers could get it.  Also wouldn't let me put my seed in their test plot.  Helped me realize that the goal of a dealer's test plot was not information but sales.  But I digress ...

As for the broad brush, I only know what farmers have told me.  My only experience with weigh wagons other than the company I was representing has been at county extension plots.  I remember a county plot where they put weigh wagons on each end of the field to make it easier for the combine.  One of the scales was kind you slid in the back of a pickup instead of pulling a weigh wagon.  After a couple varieties I noticed that when it reached a certain weight the scales rubbed against the truck bed.  That was when I started to question some of the independent unbiased county plots.

SeedSllr - 7/11/2006 21:22 The biggest mistakes that I see farmers making when comparing hybrids:
Too many variables in the comparison. 1/2 mile throughs, one side of an 80 to another, maybe even from one field to another. Soil type varies, fertility varies, rainfall, weed pressure all have a huge impact on yield. Make your plots relatively small to eliminate as much variation as you can.

I agree entirely.

Edited by Mike SE IL 7/13/2006 07:37
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)