AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Omnistar convergence time.... ugh!!!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Mbmaring
Posted 7/6/2006 09:01 (#24427 - in reply to #24325)
Subject: Re: Omnistar convergence time.... ugh!!!!

North west MN
I used RTK with an EZ-Steer this year and it worked great. Last year I used OmniStar HP and I was also satisfied with that once I got to understand the convergence Issue. My farthest field is 12 miles from my permanent RTK base station. I have one repeater that I use when going to fields that are far enough to cause radio signal loss. It seems like rivers with a lot of trees get to be a problem for the RTK signal to cross. The two farms that I use the repeaters on I have access to old wind mill towers and I have an antenna on the top with a LMR 400 cable running to the bottom then when I farm in that area I just bring the repeater with and hook the cable to it without climbing the windmill. I only have one repeater and I move it to the tower I need. Some people just move the RTK base from field to field on a tripod but if you want to have repeatable AB lines you would need a reference point and save that locations position and I didn’t want to mess with that. I didn’t have any trouble with losing radio signal but at 6:30 PM every night I would lose accuracy for a few minutes as the satellites I was receiving would drop to 4 then jump to 8 or 9 then settle down again. After I figured that out I would plan to go have supper or fill the planter at 6:30 and when I got back every thing was fine. Trimble has some planning software to figure out when the satellites will drop in your area I just figured it out myself. I map elevation while planting and that is the main reason I went with RTK but it is nice to turn on the receiver and have sub inch accuracy in a minute or 2. I did set up some OmniStar XP systems this year and they seemed to work fine for them with no complaints.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)