AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Omnistar convergence time.... ugh!!!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 7/5/2006 21:59 (#24325 - in reply to #24253)
Subject: RE: Omnistar convergence time.... ugh!!!!

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Maybe I was lucky but I didn't experience the problems that some of you have had with XP and Convergence.

During Planting season, I left the tractor out in my dooryard away from trees and left the GPS ON during the night. I generally put the tractors away but decided to leave the planter tractor out to maintain convergence.

I run my 332 with a Trimble Autopilot via the Ag Leader Insight. I left the Autoseed unchecked as I was told that this speeds up the convergence time if you don't move until convergence is reestablished but actually increases the convergence time if you move.

I regularly lost convergence when I drove through my brother's yards with lots of metal buildings but I would regain convergence before I got back to a new field. I was generally going into my brother's yard only for fuel. Since I regained convergence rather quickly (I hadn't lost it for very long if that matters), it really wasn't a problem for me.

I only lost convergence once during actual planting conditions and this was understandable due to trees. My Insight display beeped and indicated that I was dropped back to VBS but I still had onscreen mapping, logging and autopilot. Part way across the field I glanced at the 332 display and it indicated that I once again had convergence. However the Insight display continued to indicate that I was using VBS. When I turned around on the other end and disengaged, the error message went away. When I reengaged for the next pass everything was fine. I think If I had disengaged and then reengaged once convergence had been restablished, the error message would have cleared sooner.

My concern about what little I know about RTK is range. Our land is somewhat spread out and I don't think a single tower would be sufficient to cover the area. I'm also unsure about the cost.

Edited by tedbear 7/6/2006 09:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)