AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cows enjoying cooler weather (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 7/28/2013 08:49 (#3233527 - in reply to #3233295)
Subject: Re: Cows enjoying cooler weather (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Yes this is quite the change from last year at this time, Tim.  Should have plenty of grazing corn this winter. This is a new to me hybrid that seems like it will have a lot of fodder in addition to the grain. I hope it stands well through the winter as it is supposed to.

I have been lucky so far to get some scattered rain when needed. Heat units may be a concern now that we have night's in the 40's but I am thinking this weather won't last too long.  Rotational grazing has really gone well this year. This is the third time the pasture pictured has been grazed since they were turned out.

I'm off my finishing schedule due to last year's very poor drought corn crop. Brad, I've been selling a few yearling 1000-1100 lb range steers at a time off of this type grass at the feeder sale at Bloomington.  They would be almost too big to join this year's steers on corn in December but not big enough nor "finished" to sell as real fats off of late summer grass.

I checked and they don't qualify as "grassfed" since they did have some corn last winter. They brought $1.25 this week which was not bad for that heavy a steer. Tops that I saw for heavier steers was around $1.45 for a potload of very nice 800 lb range steers.

If I could get $1.30 @ ~1100 lb in my small groups that would meet my target. I'm looking forward to getting back onto plan of selling them off of grazing corn in late April either at Bloomington or as freezer beef or some of each. I would like to find a way/place to sell them and get a premium for being "natural" to maybe overcome the penalty for small group size.

It is interesting to watch them graze aggressively, all facing the same direction, moving back and forth across the pasture, in the refreshing weather. Thanks for the kind words.

Jim

Edited by Jim 7/28/2013 09:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)