AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fattening feeder lambs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Seth_ia
Posted 6/25/2013 12:35 (#3173657 - in reply to #3173483)
Subject: RE: Fattening feeder lambs

I used to use a corn based ration and stopped for just the reason you mentioned. I would get an occational case of aciddoses. A vet suggested that three doeses of the CD/t seemed to reduce the incidence of acidosis a little, which it did seem too when I tried it. However my lambs are always fed out on a self feeder so it seemed hard to prevent all acidosis.

I've switched to what is basically a by-product pellet. It has a little corn, but is mostly DDGS, wheat midds, and Soy hulls. The lambs do quite well on it and it has virtiually elimiated finishing period death loss from acidosis. for me it costs about the same as corn/soymeal ration and is a lot cheaper than a corn/supplement ration last time I checked. For next year I may try making it myself verses having the mill pellet it for me. If I do that I'll drop the midds out and use more soyhulls and DDGS in there place. SDSU did some research trials a few back on lambs using nothing but DDGS and soyhulls. The trials showed that it worked with positive results.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)