AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hay Drying for Jim
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

17821x
Posted 6/3/2013 05:12 (#3134915 - in reply to #3134732)
Subject: RE: Hay Drying for Jim - picture of today's hay experiment

NE Iowa
I've got a 4 rotor M&W that I got a good deal on. It was demoed on like 40 acres but had sat on the dealer lot for a couple years and I got it for $3000 about 8 years ago. It was actually made by Sitrex and they make them for several other companies. It covers 17' so I can get 2 swaths with a 9' moco. I usually ted all of the 1st crop and the last cutting for the year. On the crops that are cut in July or August if the weather is nice I sometimes only ted the corners and centers of the field and not the whole thing. I wouldn't rake the hay until the day you intend to bale it. On first crop the windrow will be so large that if raked wet the bottom will never dry. When I was a kid we had a single side delivery rake and I always wanted to get a jump on raking and rake some the day before baling but my dad would never let me. He insisted that the dew in the morning is so heavy here in the midwest that the hay would never dry. So always raked right as the dew is coming off on the day you intend to bale. Now if your field is all grass you could probably wait to rake until afternoon tomorrow and bale at 3-4pm or so. No leaves to lose on the grass.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)