AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Swerve or not on animals?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 5/6/2013 15:38 (#3083736 - in reply to #3083205)
Subject: RE: Swerve or not on animals?

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
Depends. Most deer, hopefully I've got a mind to steer straight ahead. It is my nature to try and swerve, been there enough times to know. So now I constantly remind myself to steer straight ahead. Actually now I try and hit them on the local highway where they are the worst. It never fails, they will always get away then. If you try and avoid them, you'll probably hit them and kill yourself in the process. The only time I ever had a close call was when I swerved to miss my kindergarten teacher's dog in the middle of the road. I missed it, but almost lost control and rolled. Taught me a lesson though.

Now I frequent some highways out on the desert where there is bad combination of straight, empty roads, and government mismanagement of wild horses. Which means (esp in the winter) there are wild horses everywhere. More in the winter because they starve and try and graze the open shoulders on the highways. It really causes a sinking feeling in your chest when you crest a rise at 80 mph and see nothing but a bunch of ugly (but still 1500lb and 5' tall) horses and burros on the highway ahead of you. Nothing on the shoulders, so I'd swerve. I know a guy hit one in a hay truck and still died.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)