AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

turbo blowing oil out stack- part two
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Larry NCKS
Posted 4/28/2013 15:58 (#3068168 - in reply to #3068127)
Subject: Re: turbo blowing oil out stack- part two

Washington, Kansas & Lincoln, Nebraska
This engine is pre-EGR. That is not a consideration. I guess I don't see how excessive exhaust presure can push oil down through the valve seals. I would think that would tend to want to push it back up the valve stem. I don't hear any abnormal sounds from the engine and an oil analysis in the last 2500 miles showed no abnormal wear metals. So I believe broken ring, scored wall, etc. is not my probem. I do think oil is being drawn past the valve stem seals or is free flowing past them and that is my problem. The night shift essentially verified that.

I was told, by the night shift supervisor, that the mechanics would remove the head beginning at 7 A.M. yesterday for further diagnostics. When they didn't and hadn't started by 2 P.M. , put the previously removed turbo back on, said that in the interim other work had come in and mine would be delayed and quoted two vastly different amounts of labor to do the job; I pulled the plug on it.

I'll run it this week. It'll be short hauling where I'll be home every night by 6 P.M. I'll talk to a local truck/tractor repair shop man who is a friend of mine and determine where to go from there. He'll get the opportunity to do the job. I foolishly had thought that since I was unloaded near my Lincoln house Friday evening, it might not be a bad idea to take a Freightliner to a Freighliner dealership. I believe I learned my lesson on that one.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)