AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Agriculture in South Texas-pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

twraska
Posted 3/22/2013 21:41 (#2984164 - in reply to #2982205)
Subject: Re: Agriculture in South Texas-pics

Wallis, TX

Tried it, ground just doesn't have any tilth in the spring if you don't work it in the fall.  Sometimes, in some conditions, yes it would work.  But when you miss a crop because things don't go well you go back to what works. 

I've tried true no-till, harvest, shred, maybe pull the stalks, and spray.  Yields were going down and down, soil getting harder and harder to plant into.  Insurance company was checking up on me as to why I was filing a claim year after year on this field.  Finally after 5 years or so I gave up and went back to fall tillage and have had decent to good crops on it since. 

Just this spring son rented some ground at planting time.  Some was disked, some was wheat in '12. and baled, not left for grain, some was laser leveled last fall, and some was in cover (grass) from '12.  Best stand was ground that was lasered leveled in the fall and sprayed with RU late fall, second best was the wheat that was baled and sprayed with RU late fall.  Disked ground was dry and had to be watered up, cover crop was planted and got a half inch of rain that night, still didn't make a good stand.  He just spent 2 days trying to get the irrigation side rolls going on that patch to water up the rest of the seed.

Keep in mind we don't get many, if any, freezes to loosen up the top few inches of soil.  We can get heavy rains that saturate the soil and pack it down as well. 

Buddy of mine is looking at strip till, I don't know how that will work, we need to keep beds for drainage in the wet years.  Less than half of my acres has good enough drainage to even think about planting flat and even then you would have a 1 in 10 chance of losing a stand due to water.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)