AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

SSTT (sideways snake train tractor) new idea possibly?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

150pilot
Posted 3/16/2013 07:32 (#2968627 - in reply to #2968557)
Subject: Re: SSTT (sideways snake train tractor) new idea possibly?

New London, Wisconsin
Can I get that without the tier 4 emission standards?

Seriously, I enjoy a chance to dream about the future now and then. I think your concept is interesting. I too have wondered what tractors, or by then a more suitable name might be "power units" may look like. My shorter term idea was to incorporate a third axle and skip the dual wheels. Think road grader design. While this has some significant advantages such as three places to add implements, front, under and rear, minimized wheel tracking and better visibility. It would likely not be a do everything for everyone concept. It's first big disadvantage is that turning radius stinks until you add a rear steer component to articulation, front steer and wheel lean. The next obvious problem is adding all that weight and complexity kind of negates some of the advantages. After all to me, buying a piece of equipment is always calculated with the thought " I'm buying a job done" not fancy paint, prestige, or collector value.

I did see a conceptual drawing of a "power unit" about 150 years down the road. It may have been at Disney's Land exhibit at Epcot. What I recall was something the general shape of a pivot span, but of a much heavier design and built to use implements under the main frame with the drive wheels on concrete paths. It was a neat idea, but something we are still not ready for in most areas. Maybe year round veggie areas would be a logical market to begin with.

I do expect the drone concept to advance. In doing so, some of the need to have equipment be as large may go away, because it would be cheaper to have smaller multiple drones. Let me know how they work out because for the first three years, I'll be the old guy in the truck laughing when they bash into trees or each other until the bugs, or battle bot syndromes are worked out.

It's fun to dream and conceptualize. Without some of these far reaching dreams we wouldn't really advance very fast would we?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)