AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

SSTT (sideways snake train tractor) new idea possibly?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

boggen
Posted 3/16/2013 17:03 (#2969449 - in reply to #2968557)
Subject: Re: SSTT (sideways snake train tractor) new idea possibly?

Trivoli, IL

dowler gantry, not to sure about it,  its single solid length. and dealing with hills. and slopes.  and then only 4 tires?. tires constantly driving back over the same path they already made.  also the cab on the unit. and the folding and unfolding of implements to get around the cab on one end,  and the engine on the other end.   not for me.  do not get me wrong i like the "dowler gantry", but i want more.  

drone tractors,  vs still keeping "cab" or rather operator near the unit.   is still an issue, it is going to take a few years to see full drones, that just leave your shed, go down road, and get into the field.  also the want of keeping an operator near 1 or multi units. to deal with various things that simply a computer would no understand or know how to deal with clogging issues for example.    

for me i want to separate cab from the main unit.  let folks have there extremely basic cab. (dead man box) for lack of better term, ya the driver is like a conductor of a train. if the person dies or goes to sleep, the SSTT stops.    to a more complex cab, with air condition, heating, multi computer screens, etc... and the cab may only need to drive into the field and unhook.    if weather has been nasty and ground is wet and needing more flotation per say, then cab might be hooked up to one of the 60 foot sides, to help reduce some pressure going down to the ground.     

i really do not think, we will ever completely get away from the "human factor"  ya 30 maybe 40 years from now, ok, that is to far in the future. but realistic future, and were everything stands now.  there is going to be need for a human factor.  for some folks and conditions more of a human factor than other folks and there situations.

""Gerald J."" nicely stated. on independent power sources.  i am for one, that shy's away from a bunch of small little robots.  i just do not see it happening any time "soon"  and as you noted it comes down to the power source. and multi smaller engines.  maybe one day, but by that day comes around, most likely there will be "hover vehicles" and the hover vehicle will have more power and ability, than millions of little robots.  and hover vehicle will more than likely have a tool bar on it. just like tool bars of todays tractors. were various plows,discs, chisels, planters, etc...  attach / hang from.    there is still a huge gap between robots repairing other robots and becoming all automated out in the real world,  while we see stuff in various manufacturing plants for mass production setups. i just do not see it happening any time soon, if at all, for a bunch of small little robots.

what will the future be, and where tractors are now,  more interested in the "now" and what could easily be in the next couple years. and that is were i have placed focused at....

================
""Old Pokey""
this is the very first thread, and has pretty much everything in it. except personal Posts from folks on different forums.  300 plus posts.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/256360-new-tractor-idea-possibly.html

at one time i wanted to get down to 15 foot or 20 foot units. but reality kicked in, and it is power source. the engine.  and what is the min/max that could be had.  right now i am tied to 60 foot long, 8 feet wide, 14 feet high. basically dimensions of what a semi can be without special permits.   other things do crop up.  such as needing room for extra tires to reduce compaction, making sure linkages to fold/unfold implements are there.  physical size of engine, fuel tanks, radiators, generators, hyd pumps,  etc...  all this stuff takes up room.    and for now i am pushing at 40 to 60 foot setup.    and still unsure between FOUR 15 foot sections, or THREE 20 foot sections.     i might be able to remove one section from overall setup to get down to 40 to 45 feet length, but i am simply not there yet.     it is all in the small little details of trying to find room for all the little things. fusebox, batteries, air filters, fuel filters, oil filters, etc...      

i want to stay away from "trailering" stuff, i just want rapid deployment, (pull in field, unfold implement and go).    when ya get into small units. a person is almost forced to trailer a bunch of smaller machines around. to make things worth while.    and driving stuff back and forth from farm to a field and then field to field, takes up a good chunk of a day.   and with above right now just focusing on max size restraints. just one bozo here, and not a team of folks. i gotta set my goals, within my own limits for now. 

=============================

=============================

EDIT:  below diagrams are older diagrams. but hopefully help get some idea across.   and attempt to break away from the "dowler gantery" units.

it is all a work in progress, "making it up as i go along" consider my posts and chicken scratchs, initial first rough draft.  without any sort of edting done to them, to make them all nifty and stuff.

Edited by boggen 3/16/2013 17:12

(boggen elec sstt34.jpg)

(boggen elec sstt33.jpg)

(boggen elec sstt25.jpg)

(boggen elec sstt24.jpg)

(boggen elec sstt23.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments boggen elec sstt34.jpg (47KB - 174 downloads)
Attachments boggen elec sstt33.jpg (38KB - 157 downloads)
Attachments boggen elec sstt25.jpg (31KB - 160 downloads)
Attachments boggen elec sstt24.jpg (29KB - 179 downloads)
Attachments boggen elec sstt23.jpg (24KB - 154 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)