AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

[Brazilian Farm] Anyone wants to see/talk about brazilian stuff?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

brusamarello
Posted 3/17/2013 02:31 (#2970334 - in reply to #2958783)
Subject: Re: [Brazilian Farm] Anyone wants to see/talk about brazilian stuff?

I will resume(or not):

My father(farmer in a south of brazil, close to argentina) and two cousins in 1980 bought some cheap lands in another city(200 miles away from here, After few years sells for 40% more and bought these lands here. Some people did this and continue going to the north(Mato Grosso - Serrado - ...)
http://revistaescola.abril.com.br/img/geografia/234-brasil-soja-197...

I lost my father in 1997(car accident) and my cousins take the farm control

I get into universitys here(3 differents and i dont finish none :/)
I make some other things:
I create some business for sell pourposes(I create, make the project but didnt open, I sell the Project/Idea)
I already have one importation/exportation business(very small, only for "hard to get in brazil" products)
Already worked in stock market, I did some good money :)
I bought some acres from few brothers with this gains.

So some years ago the farm management are bad, bad choices, bad mistakes, few minuses. About 850k USD in debt :/.
So all my family(my mother, my brothers and the cousins) decided to change the Manager of the farm and decided to split the farm.
Some Cousins take one part, my mother and my brothers the other.
And after that I am the Chosen one cause Im only one who boughts lands after my father leave this place.

So I take the blue pill(LOL))

So I didnt have experience and knowledge in farming but in all my live I think:
Make good things,
Think for me and for the others.
Always make things with quality and compromise.
If have to do, do! Work, study, know!

So after september - 2010 I am a "farmer"
Maybe for the rest of my life, maybe cause I never ever like the inside part of farming. And I admit, I still dont like :/

I already know to plant, harvest, spray, I made my own VRT maps, my own regulations, my own choices.
Off course based in books, guides, friends(other farmers).
We have anually some begginers guide or Soybeans/Corn for dummies( I know about the for dummies book series in USA,)
These books compare the breeds anually, make sugestions, test fungicides/pesticides, plots, populations, etc. A VERY GOOD tool for me.

The farm have two workers(one live in the farm with family)
He is the principal workers(Know plant, harvest, spray, regulations, some deceases, pests)
The other is a co-worker.

The land cost here are base in Bushels of soybeans. If the bushel price rises the land price rises too. The common sense(old farmers) are: We harvest soybeans not money.

Here the average farms are about 1500-2000 acres. But I have neighboards with 500 acres, 6000 acres...

Have some pasture lands to prepare and have some new places in north and center of the brazil for prepare to agriculture, but with SERIOUS INFRASTRUCTURE problems.
The best part are closed to Amazon rainforest but the government didnt aprove anymore(take down the forest to make agriculture) But have other good locations for farming here in brazil(All with NO or BAD infrastructure)

30 year ago and until today Have some Medics/Enginers/etc going to agriculture, Year after year are more dificult to do this(higher prices, more management, etc)

But some decades ago the land prices in some places in brazil are ULTRA CHEAP.
My cousin sell two trucks decades ago and bought 4500 acres in MT. He have more than 37000 acres today

The land are owned by other farmers generally. About 70 years ago the government start to sell these lands for farmers.

About the two crops in one year, is not christmas everyday(a brazilian phrase/joke)

The ideal plot today are 50 to 60 bushels soybeans and 120 to 150 bushels corn.
Soybeans planted in last september days or the first october days, for harvesting in january, safrinha corn with HIGH investment if planting in january.
But the weather rarely contribute for TWO FULL GOOD CROPS.
For planting the safrinha corn in january we take some risks and too didnt have the certain about the 150 bushel level of the corn.
And the soybeans production rarely take the 50-55 bushel level. Sometimes 20-25 happens :/
For less risks the best date are last 10 days of october.

Two year ago DIDNT rain to my safrinha corn :/ 37 bushels per acre. Last year I make 86 bushels.
Last year some farmes take few good rains and reach 60(beans)-125(corn) bushel level(earlier planting and high technology level). Wonderfull profit.

In common sense here, 40-50 bushels in soybeans and 60-80 bushels in corn are good to us and more easy/usually to achieve. The safrinha corn to make this level are much more cheaper than the 120-140 level off course.

Our rainfall historic data are close to this:
http://www.scielo.br/img/revistas/rca/v41n3/a08fig03.jpg
Our average temperature are about 77 degrees ºF

Some yearsdidnt rain for 4 or 5 months(May - Jun - Jul - Aug - Sep)

More Questions? (And so sorry about this kind of blog off topic)
I dont forget about the deceases here in soybeans and corn and weeds resistance, but its for another time, next week probably(some weeds here the usa didnt have and some I dont have, some have different names too and different species, are more dificult to "translate"
But my treatment for beans are: Glifosate + 2.4D + chlorimuron ethyl(Du Pont) + DICLOSULAM(Dow) Some lands take all some take only glifosate...
Post includes Cloransulam-methyl in some places.

In corn we use Tembotrione.

Edited by brusamarello 5/22/2013 22:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)