AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help with fertility to yield
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pvafarm
Posted 3/9/2013 17:29 (#2953406 - in reply to #2953365)
Subject: RE: Help with fertility to yield

Southeast WI
I would be very careful basing anything off of last year with as dry as we had it. Can you run this analysis over say the past 5 years? In our area many times those high pH areas are on the higher knobs in the fields (from looking at 7-8 rounds of soil samples over the past 22 years all over Jefferson, Walworth, Rock, Dane and Dodge counties). Sometimes I see fragments of bedrock scattered around, hence the high pH. And low water holding capacity. Think about that in 2012.

When the UW says "no response" to anything over optimum levels of P, K whatever, they actually say you are not likely to see an economic response "most" of the time. I think "most" means something like no response 80-90% of the time once you get into the VH or EH range. You can get a yield response sometimes even with EH soils, just very unlikely. Very likely saw a response last year due to the limited soil moisture we had most of the season.

If you do see a consistent response to higher fertility levels over several years, document and that information is justification for raising soil fert levels higher. That's data all of us may need in the future with the way regulations are going being based off of "recommendations" that were never meant to regulate.

Just my 2 cents.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)