AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is the perfect loader for dairy, farm.......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 1/21/2013 06:50 (#2837586)
Subject: What is the perfect loader for dairy, farm.......

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
We've used a Bi-directional Ford New Holland forever, had a 276 II, then a 9030E. They have been great loaders for us, but as time goes on repairs, downtime, etc. are getting to me. I currently also run a Case 95 XT skidsteer, and a 580 SL 4x4 backhoe. They all have their place, the backhoe is used to dig waterlines, repair ditches, and load hay bales in summer and winter. The skidsteer is used to help fill in when other loaders are down, fence and building construction. I can load it up on bumper pull trailer and take to other farms. So it is useful, but it's a pain to get in and out of all day long, plus it has no door or heat for using in winter, I do have the factory side glass kit in it.

The problem is 95% of our loader work is on dirt yards, very little cement. The cement we have does have some side slope in it, so it is tough to keep a hard tire loader going on it. That's were the Bi-directional works great, plus we like to pull a rubber three point scraper with it. We scrape off cement to the dirt, then have to push for a distance to stock pile.

So I guess I asking for comments recommendations for loaders, tires, sizing, etc. I don't know which way to go. I would most likely go with another Bi-directional, but the price is holding me up! I'm having a hard time justify a $100,000+ cost of loader to just put back into manure for my small operation to get a three point hitch. After running a articulating loader you don't want to go back to a farm tractor loader type. To find a low houred Bi-directional the cost is more than a good used wheel loader. The main problem is the loader for the Bi-directional is still a little to light built, and why for the cost of those loaders, why can't they design a better quick release for the bucket to switch from hay forks to bucket, we do that all day long. The bucket release on the old 276 to 9030's are better than the new TV6070's, if I had one of the new one's I would have to modify to the old style so you didn't have to pull pins to change buckets.

After seeing Garvo's pics of his JD 244J loader, I sure liked the idea of them but it won't lift high enough to get into my manure trucks. The local dealer shot me a great price on a new one, but at a 10' pin tipping height it won't clear. Looking at specs it looks as if I would have to go to a 344 JD loader to get the height. Hands down the skip(backhoe type) loaders tractors are nice, easy to get into, but those low front ends running in manure don't last long and you are rebuilding them.

So the dealer was going to bring out a telehandler JCB for me to try, I can see a lot of advantage to one of those to help in construction of buildings, stacking hay, loading manure over fence into trucks, etc. but I don't know about them.

I just getting my stomach in a twist thinking about having to upgrade, and really don't see a perfect loader. It's not like picking a field tractor, where almost anything will work, you just have color preferences. And not to say about the cost of things, it wasn't to long ago you could buy a nice farm for the cost of just a tractor today.

So I guess I'm looking for input on wheel loaders w/ rubber front scrapers? Telehandlers, I think the skidsteers are out as they don't have the ground clearance we need in dirt, sloppy yards, wading though 1-2' of muck to straw cattle if needed. Plus if working alone with a downed cow it's a lot easier and safer with a conventional type loader than a skidsteer if you have to get off loader and work with cow.

So I would value people's opinions on what is the best way to go, need to keep the size down to fit into small yards, buildings, etc.

Thanks.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)