AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Automatic or Semi-Automatic, large magazine weapons & Newtown - a suggestion for discussion
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Gary Lyon
Posted 12/16/2012 19:46 (#2756314 - in reply to #2756065)
Subject: Re: Automatic or Semi-Automatic, large magazine weapons & Newtown - a suggestion for discussion

Southeast Wyoming

Jim - 12/16/2012 16:00

TJG in MS - 12/16/2012 16:07 ...the truth is that evil cannot effectively be legislated against. Tom

Tom, I couldn't agree with you more. However I do not think we can let the fact that banning weapons whose primary application is mass murder will not be a "perfect" solution stop us from at least trying.

And the argument by several folks above that if you ban assault type rapid fire/large magazine weapons where will "they" stop next is a very poor reason for doing nothing to at least try to stop this type thing from happening or reduce the ease with which it can be done in the future. Making a sensible decision here does not need to proceed beyond that. 

About every farm I have ever been on almost needs a rifle for varmints or to put an injured animal down. etc. that will not change. But a farm does NOT need a rapid fire/large magazine assault type weapon.

Sure there are already a lot of these out there, but does that mean we should allow even more mass carnage weapons to be sold to about anyone?

It seems to me that we need to take a first step.

Jim

Jim, I didn't realize until today that you are a pacifist.  You have repeatedly claimed that the primary application of these weapons is "mass murder".  I don't believe that our military is in the business of mass murder.  I do believe these weapons, with modification, were designed to deliver maximum force and used to defeat an enemy.  I don't believe, as you and our current POTUS apparently believe at your core, that the US is in the business of forcing our will upon the world.  We are the defender of freedom and individual rights.  Our use of weapons is not offensive, but defensive.

I'd like to see your stats on what the primary applications of these weapons is.  How many are available in the US, or around the world?  How many are in the hands of those who are our potential enemies?  And especially, how many in private hands in the US are used for "mass murder"?  (It is an emotional time Jim, but try not to let your emotions rob you of your sanity.)

Something you cannot seem grasp is that a maximum force weapon, while serving as a defense, also serves as a deterrent to many who would otherwise challenge our freedom and our rights.

Then there are those mentally troubled who plan to go out in a flame of "glory" and try to gear up to face that maximum force.   Sure it was pretty simple with that X Box: blow them all away and when you lose and the game is over, you reboot and do it all again, trying to remember the mistakes you made.  I suspect these guys feel this is the ultimate game, with your name flashed around the world.  The word is this guy even dressed for the part.

In your fantasy land, you defeat these guys by making it a different "game", making it "illegal" for the good guys to be able to fight back.  I believe in the real world we defeat this violence by teaching the love of God, for each of us, and for those countless lost "could have been" friends who society killed in the womb (do you really want to talk about carnage, Jim, and the cause of lose of respect for life?  Maybe this guy's would be "best friend/solemate in life had her life taking in the womb.)  We defeat this violence by regulating the content of those X box games, and those movies and tv programs.  But of course you, as a political unit of thought, would never support taking that "right" away from your Hollywood supporters.

Edited by Gary Lyon 12/16/2012 19:49
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)