AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wildfire in N.C. State Park. Ooops !
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 11/11/2012 11:39 (#2690662 - in reply to #2690500)
Subject: RE: Wildfire in N.C. State Park. Ooops !

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
Hay Wilson in TX - 11/11/2012 07:03

A few years ago the Forestry Service did much the same thing in New Mexico.

Thing is fire is a great tool for maintaining a wilderness, IF used intelligently.

That is what is so wonderful about our Do As We Say not as We Do Government Bureaucracies.

Gives me a nice warm & fuzzy feeling.  * * * * * * +

The one in New Mexico was the big fire that burned onto Los Alamos, and had everyone worried since there is a little bit of nuclear stuff around there. I'm sure they keep that stuff where a forest fire won't threaten it, but it made for some drama in the news anyway. Other notable government sponsored controlled burns have managed to burn up parts of Yosemite, Great Basin NP, the north rim @ Grand Canyon, oh, and the BLM managed to burn up the town of Lewiston, CA.

Now, this isn't to say that accidents don't happen, after all they are literally playing with fire. I've had more than my share of fires get out of control, but the worst thing I've ever burned up were some powerpoles. But I don't have $300,000 fire trucks, staffed BTW, fire 'experts', and other government know it alls on staff. Usually all I have is myself, a four wheeler and a drip torch (that the local VFD has threatened to take away), but I do have a little common sense. Park Service here lit one about a month ago, I told my wife they were fools for lighting it as dry and windy as it had been. Sure enough, within a couple of hours your tax dollars were paying for helicopters and planes to fight it, since it was a wilderness area and no dozers could go in.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)