AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody offer a bounty to trap beaver on your farm?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 11/9/2012 22:11 (#2688405 - in reply to #2686990)
Subject: Re: Anybody offer a bounty to trap beaver on your farm?

Faunsdale, AL
Had some that were in a watershed lake that impounds floodwater and slowly releases it down to a smaller permanent pool we can use for irrigation. So I had a pump down the ditch below the dam and opened the valve in the bottom of the pond to send water to it. Got it regulated so it would keep a pool there to draw out of, but not waste much down the ditch. Apparently let some go past and the signal was up! Second night, checked on it at about bedtime and no water........... Next morning found that they had plugged the outlet solid.

So I would open the valve wide open and let it blow the plug out every morning and then throttle it back to the flow I needed to pump all day and about bedtime, I could go shutoff the pump, 'cause the beavers would have stopped the water. As the water went down I discovered that they had built a cone of mud and sticks about 8 feet high from the bottom of the pond up to the trash screen on top of the standpipe! Only way water kept going out during big rains was apparently they never decided to plug the top screen, only the gap between the standpipe and the outer ring of the trash screen. When I got it pumped down, I took a backhoe and cleared their cone away, but I'm sure they put it right back as soon as there was more water to work in!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)