AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Punished For Having A Listed Phone
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 10/27/2012 06:13 (#2663231 - in reply to #2662493)
Subject: RE: Punished For Having A Listed Phone

Chebanse, IL.....

I'm not sure if the "listed in phone book" has anything to do w/being good neighbors these days. The question is more likely, who needs the redundancy of both cell phones & a hard-wired land line? Of course w/cell phone, your number isn't listed for public access.

In the interest of frugality, many people (here) are droppng the old land line services & going 100% cell. You can also get a device that converts your whole house wired system to a cell. That allows you to use your already wired phones in the basement, bedroom, or bathroom as a cell phone thru one service. Verizon sells these things. Verizon is also in the land-line phone business. I personally do not know anyone that's ADDED a land line in place of a cell phone. Most locally have removed land lines due to non-dependability of the land line. I don't ever recall seeing our cell service "down".

It seems to me the "911" concern of cell phones has become pretty much a mute point. I have contacted 911 probably 4-5 times (for others, not for myself) in the past years and have only used a cell phone. I understand that experienced burglars know how to disable your land lines anyway, if that's the concern. In reality, how many times does the need for 911 services occur while in your home vs out in the elements?

Finally, I suppose if one is actually close enough (spiritually, not physically) to your neighbor(s), then one should make sure they have access to your cell phone #. Print a business card or give them a letterhead. Seems that in my cell phone, I list people by name vs their phone # anyway, so you could have "Neighbor Bill", "Neighbor EdW", etc, etc. No book needed.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)