AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

? RE. Chevy 4WD not working post below
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 10/22/2007 13:45 (#224532 - in reply to #224426)
Subject: Re: ? RE. Chevy 4WD not working post below

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
When the slow thermal actuator on my 92 1 ton Chevy died, I looked at that cable operated mechanical actuator before going with the newer screw jack actuator. I thought the cable axle locker would be simple and would allow use of 2 wd in low range. What turned me away from it is that it was more expensive than the electronic conversion and fear that running in wet freezing conditions would have the cable frozen solid and impossible to shift. After suffering for years with the slow thermal actuator, I smile every time I pull the transfer case into 4 WD and see that 4 WD light come on in 2 seconds instead of two minutes.
Having that neat shift on the fly transfer case is not much advantage if the front axle takes two minutes to lock.

My old 74 IH has auto hubs,but not a shift on the fly transfer case. In an emergency situation such as topping a little hill and having a deep 200 ft drift in front of me. I would hammer down on the brakes to lock up the drive line,pull the transfer case into 4 WD, get off the brakes and back on the gas. Made for an almost instant crunch less shift.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)