AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pressure Canner Question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

amsunshine
Posted 8/5/2012 18:39 (#2523644)
Subject: Pressure Canner Question

Blooming where I am planted!

I'm an experienced canner, but since my mom passed away 8 years ago, I've only been using her big Mirro pressure canner.  I also have a smaller one that holds only 4 jars.  I was canning applesauce last night and dragged out the small one to finish the batch completely between the two canners.  It has a gasket that was new 6 years ago, but unused.  I put it on to boil with the cans inside as normal, the weight on top, but it never jiggled.  There did not appear to be any obstruction in the vent leading to the weight.  I processed the entire batch in the big canner, and it functioned properly, but the small canner didn't seem to work right.  I turned the heat off when the big canner was done, and was able to take the weight off the small canner much sooner than off the big canner.  I had bumped the small-canner weight with the tongs to see if any steam escaped, and it didn't...almost like it never got enough pressure inside.  However, when I brought the cans out of the small canner, the contents were hot and bubbly, and all 4 cans popped to indicate a seal...but I was still unsure if the contents had been processed under enough pressure not to spoil, so I put those 4 cans in the fridge.

Can someone please tell me the following:

1.  Is there something wrong with my small canner?
2.  Do you think the contents of those 4 jars are good--good enough to keep on the shelf at room temperature long term?

Thanks in advance.      

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)