AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trimble RTK help please
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

jdj59d
Posted 10/18/2007 21:20 (#222404)
Subject: Trimble RTK help please

Montgomery City, MO
I will start by stating that I am new to rtk. I am either having trouble or my expectations are too high. I will try not to get this too long but I want to let you guys know all of the details.

This spring I bought an EZ guide 500 omnistar and an ez steer to plant corn and beans on a JD7800. Outside of the convergence time I am really happy with the system, I know there is better out there but this fit my budget and expectations.
The local coop has put up an RTK network in my area so I thought I would go ahead step up. I bought the upgrade for the 500 and a Sitenet 900 radio.

I ran the 500 omnistar w/xp and ez steer on a 2188 through half of my bean acres with very, very good success. In the middle of the harvest I hooked my rtk stuff up to try it. It worked fair at best. I could only get corrections on 5 or 6 satellites max. The 500 was tracking more but I was not receiving corrections on all of them.(I got this from the status-satellite screen). When I would get near woods or a draw I would drop to 4 satellites then I was out of commission. With the omni I always had 6 to 8 or even more, when I got close to the woods I might lose a couple but I would always have enough to keep the ez steer enguaged. It gives so much trouble I usually give up and switch back to waas because the rtk will not stay hooked and at that point it takes too long to get the xp reconverged and the combine has to roll.

I looked at the base receiver antenna at the coop and it is about 10 ft off of the ground on a post and 100' west of the elevator and bins, thus it cannot see to the east very well. I am wondering if this is part of my problem.

Is the base antenna not able to correct these "eastern" satellites that I need to use??? Am I expecting too much?? What can I do to improve the reliability. I don't need rtk accuracy I just don't want omnistar convergence time issues anymore.

The base station is a Trimble AgGps base 900, firmware unkown.
500 is 2.0 firmware
Sitenet is 2.74 firmware
I am about 2 miles from the base station
by the way the cmr age is usually 1 s or less old and cmr throughput is 100%

Thanks in advance for any help. Precision ag experience is somewhat limited in my area, 99% of what I know has come from you guys on this forum, thanks again.

Josh

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)