AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I put out hay today - first time in July
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 7/16/2012 12:41 (#2488449 - in reply to #2488040)
Subject: Re: I put out hay today - first time in July

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Very likely, yes. Were you at the Bluegrass music festival at the fairgrounds?

Kal I understand that what we are calling dry conditions is nothing like what other folks call dry conditions. Everything is relative to what "normal" for a given area.  For this area and the stocking rates etc this is dry.  For someone used to 20a/pair rates as Mark mentions, this doesn't look near as dry to what they are used to seeing.

About the breeding on a level, open spot rather than on wooded hillsides - a couple years ago I had a hiefer go lame from being bred on a rocky hillside. Would that have happened on open more level ground? Maybe, but maybe not. 

The only thing that makes produces income in a cow/calf operation is calves. Everything else is an expense. And in my system, the tighter/shorter the calving period the more likely my steers will be at 13 months and a reasonable weight to process at my scheduled time when they need to get off corn so I can start the cycle again.

I want as many as possible bred on the first cycle so I do everything I can think of to increase that one-cycle calving probability.  A small group in a somewhat limited space that is more level and open than other place I have with anything to graze right now. Maybe it is more management-intensive than other systems but it is just a different way of raising beef that I am experimenting with. There are a lot of different ways to raise cattle as we see on this board.

Stocking rate is another issue this year. I think this year will really define for me what sort of stocking rate can be supported by my system.

Jim at Dawn

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)