AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I better man up!!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Piedmont
Posted 7/11/2012 22:31 (#2480252 - in reply to #2480087)
Subject: RE: I better man up!!!

whitehall maryland
Im 35 , grew up on a dairy farm that was owned by my grandparents. Dad worked town, my grandmother wouldnt let him take over when Grandaddy had a heart attack in the eighties, so the dairy was rented, dad had 50 acres, we raised dairy heifers, hogs, and had a small flock of sheep, just a 4-h hobby farm, I worked through high school on various dairy farms wanted nothing more than a shot at farming. Dad and I had built up a small herd 30 head of jerseys and Brown swiss. Longterm tenants left grandparents dairy, Dad and I went to them business plan in hand to take over dairy. We had little debt there was no mortgage and farm was capable of supporting 120 head. Grandparents owned milking equipment, 300 acres...grandaddy was open to idea, but Grandmother wouldnt have it. So I went off to college ending up in the city became a firemen..from the meadows to the ghetto..lol..Granddaddy passed away, time went on original farm got sold...ten years later in a down real estate market the rest of the farm went to auction, didnt sell..long story short I scraped together my savings and convinced my grandmother to sell me the farm. Three years later 120 brood cows and freezer beef business, and still 42 hours a week in the city.. here I am..Sleepless nights, seven days a week, and constant scheming.. but I love every second of it..Good Night all and let it rain
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)