AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why not $8-$12 corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 7/8/2012 23:50 (#2474766 - in reply to #2472793)
Subject: RE: Why not $8-$12 corn

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I apologize for the use of the word "greed" not a good choice of words and certainly nothing personal intended.

And yes, a producer certainly has the right to hold or sell at any price he wishes. What I was trying to point out were 2 points:

1) the brief $24 wheat was an aberration as pointed out by Bruce and others. It was not a sustainable market-driven price. It was a temporary situation caused by a glitch in a marketing system somewhere. I did not think many producers were actually able to get that price. I am glad to hear some were.

2) abnormally high and quick-changing prices are not in my opinion, in the long term best interests of the agricultural producer. The ag commodities trader, yes, the ag producer no.  these prices may artificially stimulate production in other areas or substitute products which in the long term reduce demand and producer income prospects.

Long term thinking though is not very popular these days.

Please accept my apology for a poor use of the word "greed".  "Greed" may apply to the artificial, often self bump-inducing TRADER, but "Greed" is not the correct word for a PRODUCER taking advantage of a selling opportunity.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 7/8/2012 23:51
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)