AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn-on-Corn tillage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Oliver1
Posted 6/30/2012 00:21 (#2457781 - in reply to #2456756)
Subject: RE: Corn-on-Corn tillage

Alton, Ia
Do you want to make the most money, or do you want to experience farming?

For ~100 acres, with limited knowledge or expertise in growing corn, you will probably be big dollars ahead having it custom done. There is a lot to figure out, getting a good seedbed, emergence, weed control, etc. The dollars per acre has gotten so high you have to do a good job, but for 100 acres, can you really afford owning top notch equipment? I sure as heck don't see how that pencils out.

Whether you do it, or custom farm it, I would seriously look at the grazing stalks issue. Most around here quit grazing beef cows years ago because they filled up with fodder and then wouldn't eat the good silage and corn mix. Momma cows are different I would imagine. But you really need to look at what the grazing is costing you, by not allowing fall tillage, livestock compaction, delayed planting, slower emergence, etc. Check with local seed dealers, extension agents, etc. and see how your yields compare to other corn on corn fields. It may pay to bale, feed and then haul manure. Then you can control the ration, plus farm the ground in the most optimal way. For example, we would not even think of spring chiseling. NEVER. Turns up too many lumps and they bake hard. Leads to a very crappy seed bed.

Maybe you have an older neighbor who would be happy to share his expertise and equipment for your labor and enthusiasm. That would be a sweet deal.

Good luck.

Edited by Oliver1 6/30/2012 00:23
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)