AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn-on-Corn tillage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

CBMN
Posted 6/29/2012 14:22 (#2456756)
Subject: Corn-on-Corn tillage

East Central Minnesota
Beginning/Small timer here. I have been running cows and feeding the calves out for a number of years and in the past couple of years have taken over the crop planting for my dad. Our farm has always been conventional tilled with little to no fall work done most years. It was always disk, chisel, disk again, broadcast fertilizer, field cultivate and plant; all in the spring. I have always depended on grazing corn stalks in the fall and depend on it in order to have enough feed to get through winter. I would like to do a better job and also cut down on the number of trips over the field. The field cultivator is pretty much wore out and doesn't do a very good job so I would like to replace that anyway.

My biggest tractor is 125hp, I work a full time job off the farm also. What would you do in my shoes (short of renting the land out to someone who does a better job)? Keeping in mind, I would not have an unlimited budget. I am talking less than 100 acres usually depending on what I have in alfalfa each year. Also I would like to keep the cows out on stalks as long as possible. I am in Cent. MN

Should I broadcast fertilizer before chiseling and skip the second pass with the disc? Should I quit broadcasting before planting and do it in the fall, or after the corn gets knee high? If you can't tell already, I really don't know what I'm doing raising corn and am just doing things the way Dad always did them.

Thanks for any help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)