AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Past Droughts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ed Winkle
Posted 6/27/2012 08:19 (#2452230 - in reply to #2451742)
Subject: Re: Past Droughts

Martinsville, Ohio
That's the best drought history of our generation I have read, Robert. That is excellent. I wish I had that many notes about my lifetime, the years all kind of fuzz together and Cincinnati wasn't quite like Iowa but many were very similar patterns.

I well recall the 50's as we were milking by hand. I remember more the floods of 63 when I lost my first planted corn crop and 68 when I graduated from high school and went to Ohio State.

I was managing the school farm on top of everything else 71-87 and remember those cycles but most 1983 when I had Elf dwarf soybeans that got eaten by Mexican bean beetles and made 20 bu which probably was good because my first RR was 99 dought and made the same.

85 was my first 100 bu wheat and that plot is now a parking lot for Japanese auto plant Showa and I had 70 bu beans there one of those years and 180 bu notill corn. 85-87 and the double crop beans made 40 behind the wheat.

The main thing I remember of the 50's was wheat was the cash crop and all the corn was fed to livestock. I remember the lines of little trucks and wagons past our farm to SB Craig's in Sardinia.

Thanks for the really good drought history!

Ed
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)