AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Weekend project
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Tommy
Posted 6/27/2012 15:20 (#2452842 - in reply to #2452793)
Subject: RE: Am I confused?

Iowa
No, don't be offended, nice homeowner work. 90 degree herringbone has little cutting, just some split blocks. Split blocks are easy and imperfections wont show once grass hides edges. 45 degree herringbone is LOTS of cuts.

In Iowa, "tamping" isn't anywhere near enough--guaranteed failure, but you know what works there. We have to vibratory compact here.

for foolproof results:
1) Vibratory compact soil after excavated to proper depth
2) Fabric before base material
3) 6" of roadstone base in 2 inch vibratory-compacted lifts moistened and compacted until it takes a 3# hammer to drive in 10 inch spikes. (12 inch spikes are no better as they just go clear through the base into virgin soil which helps nothing)
4) 1" loose, uncompacted sand on screedrails, then remove rails and fill where they were
5) No bondlines longer than 4 feet--remember, INTERLOCK, INTERLOCK, INTERLOCK
6) overbuild base 6 inches so the edging nails pound REAL hard--otherwise the pavers will "fall out wide" at the edges.

Always start laying at low point and work uphill. If you work downhill the pavers will creep apart as you lay them/walk on them before final compaction. If home (or whatever) isnt perfectly perpendicular to the street, sidewalk--whatever is the starting point-- lay perpendicular to starting point and adjust when by the house, not the other way around. Snap lines in the sand to keep you laying straight (kinda like shingling). Tape athletic to your fingertips--way way better than gloves.

Best tools:
paver square (about a 6'folding square)
quick draw scribe
paver extractor
paver splitter--can use a brick set if not too many and if cuts are on the edges that will be overgrown by the lawn.

I would own these even if I only did my own as a homeowner

You can rent a laser, vibratory compactor and a brick table saw.

The fact that the walk will be seldom-used is not a factor as to if it holds fast or "humps and bumps"--that all depends on if the base is perfect since they don't interlock. Large (6X9) pavers are way more prone to movement, as their "aspect ratio" is poor (the depth compared to the surface area). The poorer this ratio, the more prone they are to movement. that's why "steeping stone" patios almost always fail (and why paving contractors won't guarantee them.) So large pavers and no interlock usually doesn't work over time.

But a good homeowner job nonetheless. WE NEVER SEE ONE THIS GOOD.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)