AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NH3 safety. This video should be shown to everyone.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 6/13/2012 06:36 (#2427715 - in reply to #2427388)
Subject: RE: NH3 safety. This video should be shown to everyone. I agree...but NO DEATHS!!!!!

Chebanse, IL.....

This is getting hard to keep up with.

It is apparently a GREAT video. Everyone should watch it. But NO ONE died making that training video. It was fabricated. The St of IL, Dept of Ag & the IFCA use that video for their safety training classes. That's when I first saw the video, then somehow it got on YouTube, but with a different narrative explanation. Some have claimed that the Il St Police officer was in the Effingham, IL area when that happened. However, no one seems to be able to find any record of NH3 accidents/fatalities in that time frame, or perhaps ever. I believe the camera is showing the year "2000", is that right? Google June 13, 2000, Effingham or any combination & see if you can find anything. Maybe it was kept out of the papers though...right?

However, I will agree everyone should watch the video. Apparently everyone IS watching the video & that's OK. Try & learn the message. Again, it's a training film & viewers can keep their condolances, thoughts, & flower gifts at home. No one was killed or injured. NH3 can be dangerous. If that loaded tank runs over your foot, it will break your foot. Of course, there are also worse possibilities with the product also. We've used it for a long time on our farm & we respect it. Of our daily hazardous farm life, I still say it is NOT the most dangerous facet of our work. I know a lot of farmers that get injured locally & none have been with NH3 in a long time. Every year, we have very unfortunate farm accident deaths, and none have been with NH3...ever...here. However, I will agree with many posters. If you're afraid of the product, leave it alone. If you're afraid of dying in a grain bin...don't ever go in one. If you're afraid of an implement ever falling on you, don't own one. There's always something trying to "get you" out there & given the chance, it will happen...sadly. Losing kids inside of gravity wagons is still a very sad reality that occurs. Though we handle hundreds of tons of NH3 personally, annually, I suspect our single greatest personal injury hazard is tractor roll-overs in road ditches. Does anyone have a YouTube of the grief that losing a young or old family member caused by a roll-over? We've had several perish locally due to roll-overs (tractor). A long-time friend & well-known aviator from the Bloomington IL area died a few years back. He made his living flying & died on a tractor in a road ditch. Hard to believe.

Do any of your local fire Depts or Police agencies "stage" accidents or extrications for kids prior to homecomings, proms, etc? It's done around here, but the event is not usually portrayed as someone actually dying. But the message is still good, and necessary. The same with the NH3 video.

Thanks for watching....again. But please understand it was contrived.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)