AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New to anhydrous ammonia!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

JohnDeereGreenWKY
Posted 6/2/2012 22:51 (#2411290 - in reply to #2410485)
Subject: Re: New to anhydrous ammonia!

West Ky
It almost killed my brother. I drove by on a whim for some odd reason to check on him and I found him laying face down in the field about 100 foot from the tractor. Picked him up and threw him in the truck and he went to the hospital. He was foaming at the mouth (lol) and had snot just pouring from his nose. I hung him out the window as I was driving down the road and the snot and slobber was just going everywhere. He almost lost his eyes on that and had burned his eyes, lungs, front part of his body etc. The coupler came undone so he opened the applicator up and emptied the NH3 out of the unit. Then parked upwind and was trying to hook the hose back up and couldn't get it in. He used a hammer and adjustable end wrench to smack the hose into the coupler and it sprayed him. Apparently when he opened it up it didn't empty out the coupler.

The very first time I ever put down NH3 was when I was driving a 4630 and I had to been 14- 15 I guess. My dad and grandad always did it instead until I got old enough to tore up by it lol. Anyways my dad watched for about 1 min and then left, but I always got strict instructions about how expensive this stuff was and deadly (I already knew what it would do if breathed in). Anyways I was going across a low area when all over a sudden the tractor surged forward almost throwing me out of the seat. I immediately hit the clutch and brakes, Too late... The NH3 rig was unhooked from the 3 point hitch and it was about 10 foot behind the tractor. Of course the hydroulic hoses were popped out and laying on the ground. Well their she was behind like a giant white fog nightmare... It was wide open and fogging everywhere and I did as I was told.. I ran back in the fog (holding breath and eyes closed) and ran into the tank then found my way onto the tire and started turning that damned knob...turning...turning...turning...turning...turning...turning...turning...turning...turning...turning...turning...turning and turning some more before it FINALLY shut off. I ran up on top of the hill and was trying to gasp for breath. Of course I couldn't breath and my eyes were closed up and snot was going everywhere. I thought I was going to die. Then finally I was able to take a little breath. Good thing too because I was beginning to pass out because everything was spinning and getting dark.

The reason why the rig became unhitched was because the springs were broke in the 3pt hitch which caused the little figers to not stick out and catch the pins from coming up and over the two hooks. Of course I got a major cussing about it and how I let NH3 escape and it cost them money. Couldn't of been more than 20 bucks at the most. This was back in the 80's.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)