AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need advice on Pythium damaged corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ed Winkle
Posted 5/29/2012 13:46 (#2404126 - in reply to #2404027)
Subject: Re: Need advice on Pythium damaged corn

Martinsville, Ohio
Mark,

We are going through the same thing here. This may be the worst pythium hanging on problem I have ever seen. Normally the plants tend to grow out of it, at least to some degree but these are new genetics, new chemistries and I am not sure what to expect. We know those sick plants won't make full yield.

The big question is will spotted in or replant pay? What I have seen replanted so far, the stands are better and more consistent but they are later and won't be as high yielding as the better early stands, probably. It's almost June 1 and this isn't 2011 when our June 5 corn could make 200 bu. That was unheard of.

You just have to walk it, talk about it, think about it and pray over it and decide I am replanting this or I am keeping it.

I think God gave me the chance to test 300 bu corn this year maybe and I missed it by not planting in March. But some March corn still has pythium in it so I don't know.

Know that sick corn will never make full potential and go from there. Will you make more replanting it or keeping it?

Ed Winkle
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)