AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

"City-boy" Agribusiness Major Needs Info About Agriculture
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

LouisianaSportsman
Posted 5/25/2012 00:06 (#2397345 - in reply to #2395748)
Subject: Re: "City-boy" Agribusiness Major Needs Info About Agriculture

Kscropguy, you summed up my entire fear *perfectly* here:
“He grew up in the center of a metropolitan area. He had very little exposure to ag. He moved to a very rural area and became a crop consultant for a company. After I graduated he convinced me to accept a position with the same company in his territory. After a year or two he and I were talking and he was just struggling. He knew everything there was to know about agronomy and made no mistakes other that he felt like he was floundering with his customers. His comment was "you have been here less time and have more faith from your customers than I do". I told him "you just haven't learned how to talk farmer".”

It does give me some faith that he did manage to figure it out though, I’m sure I *could* but I think it’ll help to get a leg up if I start trying to talk to the farmer right now.

I agree with everyone who says that I need to get some practical experience. This really does seem to be the best way. I just got to see about how to do this, even if it is just driving around. I'm trying.

Deadduck, I go to ULM! Do you know of any opportunities in the field? Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you do. I’m just starting to get my foot on the ground so if you have any pointers, I’d really appreciate it.

Great input, guys! I really enjoyed reading everyone's comments.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)