AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Neighbor with bee hive?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

BigNorsk
Posted 5/17/2012 14:48 (#2386425 - in reply to #2385854)
Subject: RE: Neighbor with bee hive?

Rolla, ND
I wouldn't think a lot of the honeybees would be working the neighbors flower garden unless there just isn't much of anything to forage.

Honeybees have a system of communication that basically they vote on the best source until the whole colonies worth of workers are out working that source. So they would tend to kind of pollinate everything a bit and then they would zero in on the best nectar for the day and hammer that. Which it would be very unusual for a little flower garden to much interest them after the first few scouts.

So anyway you might see some of the neighbor's honeybees for the first hour or so and then after that what you more likely see are the wild solitary bees. Some of which, like the sunflower leafcutter bee look an awful lot like a honeybee. As someone who has a bad reaction to bees, I'm not going to send you into the flower patch to see if the bees are gathering pollen on their hind legs or on the bottom of their abdomen. The honeybee makes the little sac like collections on the leg, the leafcutter has the bottom of the abdomen covered.

There's going to be pollinators around, that would be with or without the neighbor's colonies.

I'd say the city should be licensing the beekeeper, few reasons for that. One, it should be known by emergency workers that the bees are present. Not hard to deal with, just one ahould know. The other thing is they should make a condition of the license that the city is held harmless for mosquito spraying, and they also could have it as an educational moment for providing them water.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)