AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question about dementia
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

tigger
Posted 5/5/2012 08:17 (#2369572 - in reply to #2369258)
Subject: RE: Question about dementia

Iowa
Each case is different, but in general it does not do much good to argue with someone suffering from dementia. Some will get used to not being at home. Some never will. Usually, as the disease progresses, they will not retain the ability to fight things quite so much. I gave up on arguing and played along with whatever my dad was saying. It was much more pleasant than arguing about things. He would not remember it the next day anyway. If he would get real combative, I would tell him I was not going to discuss whatever it was that he was upset about. Perhaps you and your wife could work on some ways to deflect the unpleasant conversations with your MIL. My dad and I would either have a nice conversation about planting corn or something nice, or I was going to walk away. He started to suffer from dementia soon after I came back to the farm, but continued to live on the farm for many years before he had to have 24 hour care. Those were very difficult times. Anyone on the outside looking in had no idea what was going on and was shocked when it came time for him to move off the farm. It's not a good thing to face alone.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)