AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

B&S engine ? rebuild or replace?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 6/5/2006 23:24 (#17398)
Subject: B&S engine ? rebuild or replace?

We have a Gilson rear tine rotortiller with a 5 hp Briggs & Stratton engine. Sunday while working the garden with it it started to pull down then quit. My first reaction was it was out og gas so I let it cool off while I went in the house to cool off myself & to get a drink. Went back out with a can of gas but when I took the gas cap off it still had some gas in it . My first reaction was "OH SH!T!" . Unscrewed the oil cap & sure enough the SOB was out of oil . I guess it has too big of a gas tank as I had filled it with gas & oil before starting it.

I hauled it to the shop , removed the spark plug & poured some Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinder & left it sit. This evemning I went back out to the shop & was able to get it broke loose using a pair of large channel locks. I removed the recoil starter & put a socket & impact on the shaft & spun it over for a couple minutes. Put the recoil back on & it fired right up but did smoke a little. I thought I had gotten lucky but suddenly it started to clang and was barely able to get it shut down before it grenaded I figure a ring broke or a valve is hitting against the top of the piston.

This engine is a horizontal shaft with 2 output shafts. Main shaft drives the tines & drive wheels forward. Second, smaller shaft drives the wheels in reverse. Model # is 130292. Normally I would just replace the engine but so far haven't been able to find one like it. Anyone have any recomendation as to where to purchase a new engine/ Or would I be as well off to have this one rebuilt? Like I said, normally I just replace them as it costs about as much to have one rebuilt as it does to buy new but with this one being an oddball (2 shafts) I figure a new one might be a little salty.

Thanks for the help,
boog

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)