AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gas ,charcoal, or electric grill??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Doc Holliday
Posted 4/23/2012 20:26 (#2350711 - in reply to #2349464)
Subject: Re: Gas ,charcoal, or electric grill??

Crawford County, Ohio
I recommend a Big Green Egg. Had one for a few weeks now after using a propane grill for over 30 yrs. I replaced the burners in that grill on average of every two years, even stainless burners. Never used salt on that grill.

The Egg uses lump charcoal rather than briquettes. It is extremely quick and easy to light. My wife saves paper towels that have been used to soak up bacon grease. I cut them in half and light that, pile a couple chunks of lump on it, and away it goes. Has not failed yet. The Egg is thick ceramic and holds heat and moisture in. Food comes out moist rather than tough and dry like most grills. I can most definitely tell a taste difference. You can do low and slow cooks (like smoking) at 200 to 250 for 20+ hours on one load of charcoal or get them flaming hot at over 1000 degrees if that is what you need. They are expensive, but have a lifetime warranty. Takes me on average of about 20 min to stabilize the temp in it before putting food on, but usually took about 10-15 min to bring the old gasser up to temp. The lump makes very little ash and only needs to be cleaned out after every 5-6 cooks. Royal Oak lump is readily available at Wally World and is pretty good quality stuff.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)