AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rained on haylage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 3/28/2012 23:15 (#2310878 - in reply to #2310596)
Subject: Re: Rained on haylage

Faunsdale, AL
I cut some next to it today. The stuff from last week was pretty dry today even though it was foggy until noon. It'll bale tomorrow if we get some sunshine on it. Might not get it though.

There should be enough more that I scrapped up today to nearly fill the bag. This is all a practice run to get our setup ready for some triticale that's coming off later. We've never run a pickup head on this chopper and I saw this mix of stuff in a dry cow pasture that was just going to get tromped down when the cows were put in there, so I figured why not chop it.

We don't have any wrapping capability and more importantly do not own anything other than cows that can process a bale of haylage. Had a neighbor bale and wrap some sorghum/sudan hay for us one year about Thanksgiving that worked really well. No way we were going to cure that to bale dry hay at that time of year. Was spitting rain when we were wrapping it! We just fed it free choice in the "pasture" the cows go out on to get off the concrete for a few hours each day.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)