AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rained on haylage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Oakwood
Posted 3/28/2012 18:15 (#2310308 - in reply to #2310137)
Subject: Re: Rained on haylage

Manitoba
think it depends mostly on what condition is was in before you cut and the potential of mold on the bottom as you said. If it was wet and heavy at cutting (does not sound like that since swaths are wide / thin) I would not chop for haylage. We've had it where in really wet years the stuff is almost rotting standing when it's really heavy and conditions are wet. Anytime you have molds and particularely if the stuff has been rained on to the point where it's right flat on the ground your going to introduce a lot of stuff to the ensiling process that you don't want. When that's the case the chance of making a decent haylage is very slim. I have done it in the past and the stuff you end up with you have to spread back on the field it's so bad or try to blend it off in small amounts so the pile sits there forever.

I wouldn't worry too much about the bleached but if you do have molds I personally would rather try to take it as dry hay vs haylage. It still won't be good but you won't have an expensisve (chopping isn't cheap, particularely if you are getting custom done) pile of crap you don't know what to do with.

I'm assuming it's for dairy purposes. If for beef I don't know, some of the beef guys I know feed anything.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)