AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

first calf of the year on schedule (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

play in the dirt
Posted 3/27/2012 23:32 (#2309404 - in reply to #2309142)
Subject: Re: first calf of the year on schedule (pics)

south central IOWA
Jim - 3/27/2012 21:06 I just don't like to mess with them early and possibly interfere with the cow taking care of them. Also safer for me because I DO want protective cows.

The only thing you could possibly interfere with is if the calf is trying to nurse for the first time and you go and mess with their mojo. It might get them out of the mood to do their thing.

I wish I was able to get a video of the cow I had calve yesterday. The cow has big teats and after a few hours I noticed the calf hadn't sucked. It was possible to get the calf to her utter out in the pasture but she just wouldn't stand still long enough to get the calf nursing. The cow was nicer than nice to me. At one point I parked the 4 wheeler in front of the cow with the dog on the 4 wheeler. The dog knows to stay away from cows that just calved and also knows to stay on the 4 wheeler. Well, it wasn't long and the cow took after the dog being meaner than all get out. Took the calf down to the barn to get the cow in the headgate to get the calf to nurse. All is well between us and then she sees the dog again. I thought the dog was tough but after her display yesterday, I don't know............

(09-05-08_1707.jpg)

(2011-05-26 18.45.53.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 09-05-08_1707.jpg (11KB - 63 downloads)
Attachments 2011-05-26 18.45.53.jpg (70KB - 56 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)