AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ribeyes from steer harvested off of grazing corn (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 3/25/2012 22:36 (#2306399 - in reply to #2305945)
Subject: Grazing corn - is there waste

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Hi Jim.  The question about do they waste grain or not has no one answer.  Compared to a combine run in the fall - yes. But I dont have hired harvest expenses nor do I have to purchase feed. 

It also depends on how hard you push them to clean it up - you have to restrict the area of corn open to them at any one time.  I used to push the steers to clean up an area before giving them more but then their ADG went way down. I want these steers around 5 lb/day right up to harvest/processing. They don't miss much but right now they are eating mostly just the corn grain/cob/husk and not much of the rest of the corn plant. They do nibble on a bale of good hay open behind them (between them and water) to balance out the rumen.

So now I graze it in waves. First the steers, then the yearling (non pregnant) heifers, who will pick up any grain remnants and eat the tops of the plants. Then the cows come in for a short time after calving and before I have to spring strip till again in the same spot (move over 15") for this years corn. The cows really find every kernal remaining and eat much of the rest of the plant.  The lower stalks are about all that remain when grazed in waves like this. Hope all is well with you.

Jim at Dawn

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)